Hey peeps! I got a few things to talk about today, most of which are pretty negative, but not necessarily right? :]
1. The absenteeism - Where have I been recently? Haven’t been posting on Twitter or on Facebook or making comics here, just been posting guest comics. Well, I’ve been a bit busy & stressed out — if you’ve ever tried to do creative stuff while your mind is on other things, you know it doesn’t come easily.
The good news - I’ll be more active now.
2. The guest comics - So all I’ve had time for recently is literally posting guest comics. I haven’t even been replying to emails & messages, and I’m feeling hella rude about that, but I intend to fix that today. There are actually many I haven’t posted yet, either because of a technical difficulty or just because I haven’t had time. Remember friends, I can only post here in a vertical 500px width format. :/
The good news - I’ll catch up on that stuff.
3. The Patreon - I’m not going to sugarcoat this, I intend to shut down the Patreon and either fulfill existing orders or issue refunds. There has only been one charge for $262, which was for March — April will never be charged. The reasons are:
- I have no time on a day to day basis to print and ship stuff, or do an exclusive stream, or produce a lot of Patreon-specific content, and I don’t want to make promises I can’t fulfill.
- Patreon isn’t the right model for what I want to accomplish. People don’t necessarily want avatars & prints on a monthly basis, they just want AN avatar or print, singular.
So, I thought my Patreon would be sustainable, and it wasn’t, big whoop wanna fight about it? This isn’t a comment on Patreon itself though — great website.
The good news - Everything that was offered on the Patreon will soon be on the an Owl Turd Comix online store! :]
4. Comics as a whole - I want to improve, especially in terms of making stuff more fluid and expressive. This is a challenge for me because I tend to lean on construction and balance, but good artists generally do a gesture drawing first and then construct shapes to conform to it. In realistic art those shapes are pretty well-defined, but in cartoons even they can be distorted and exaggerated. I’m going to start doing that.
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, my inbox is right here.
Here’s how I think an anime Shen would look: